The 7th January is, statistically, the most popular day for job hunting. This isn’t at all surprising when we consider the volatile combination of an enjoyable Christmas break and returning to an unfulfilling role.
The post-holiday blues (or contrast effect to use its proper name) is, psychologically speaking, the body recovering from an intense period of emotion, stress, over indulgence and the jarring return to a routine. For many the return to work is nothing more serious than that: it requires little more than adjusting ones expectations and making sure the first couple of weeks are positive both personally and professionally.
If you’re fortunate enough to enjoy, or even love, your job then the return to work is only as inconvenient as having to set the alarm for the first time in two weeks…and perhaps a severe sugar crash. For those who genuinely feel unhappy and unfulfilled in their role it’s actually a very difficult, even destressing, time.
With those people in mind we wanted to share our 3 rules for conducting a search for that all important dream job:
- Follow Your Dreams
Whilst we may have over indulged on Disney movies over the holidays, it’s the best advice we can give. Everyone should be passionate about their job, without exception. Even the top 1% of earners enjoy what they do, even if their motivations and considerations are different to the other 99%. Changing jobs is not enough to solve the problem; it has to be the job.
Working with a Talent Delivery Consultant can not only clarify career aspirations but highlight and draw out key experiences, qualifications and industry knowledge. They can also advocate to enure the role, the salary and the package all meet expectations.
- Forget About the Money
Salary plays a significant part in the decision making process when people are unhappy in their roles, particularly those feeling undervalued. Whilst money is important and this may sound like putting the cart before the horse, securing the prefect role may require a sideways step before the upwards one.
It’s also wise to save as much money as you can during a job search. Aside from the reassurance of having a cushion should anything go wrong, it helps to control the financial aspect of the decision making process.
Remember, this search isn’t a stop-gap until the right job comes along. Working for the right company, in the right role will reap rewards soon enough. As long as the starting salary covers out goings, leaping out of bed in the morning is worth either keeping the same salary or a slight reduction.
- Be brave
Words to live by. Making a career change can be difficult, daunting even but don't be afraid. The only way to achieve our dream jobs and hit our potential is to go for it. There are always reasons not to do something, to play it safe at the cost of happiness. But in our experience a little bit of bravery changes lives.
Register your details, speak to our consultants and make that dream job a reality.
We are actively recruiting across our 10 specialisms in aerospace, defence, energy and infrastructure so register your details with us today.
For additional advice and guidance on landing your new role visit our Candidate Toolkit.
Alternatively, if you have requirements you’d like our support with; we want to hear from you. Contact us or submit your vacancies today and one of our specialist consultants will be in touch.
For more news and top jobs follow us on LinkedIn and like us on Facebook.